Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Could be worse

A few nights ago I went to a friends house and he wasn't back from work yet, so I made chit chat with his mother. Of course, the subject of what I am doing with my life came up right away. When I told her where I worked she replied with, "Well, at least you're not a stripper."

Not surprisingly, I've gotten this response before. When you work in the sex industry, people always like to compare you with other occupations that they think are "lower". I don't know if this reasoning is for their benefit or meant as some sort of weird comfort to me, but it's one of my least favorite reactions.

First off, I don't think of stripping as "the worst thing ever". In fact, I have friends who are strippers, dancers, burlesque performers, gogo girls, topless performers, etc. And these folks are awesome. And like every career out there, some of them love it, some of them hate it but need the money, and some of them would do it even if they weren't getting any compensation besides the experience.

Second, why do people feel like I need to be comforted that things could always be worse? This phrasing puts down my career choice, and is extremely sex negative. Working at a sex shop is not a crime, nor is it something that I was forced into. I have worked this job for four years now, and I have no intention on leaving right away. When stating my place of work, in no way am I pleading a cry for help, nor do I need you to say something to make me feel better. All I am simply doing is stating my job.

I am a sex shop worker
Proud and true
Hear me roar!
Buzz buzz buzz

No comments:

Post a Comment